notes on electronic projects and other things

3D Printer building and first prints

Short log of building “Makeblock Constructor I” 3D printer.

Few issues were solved in order to bring it into fully working state.

Released some shapes for Paint.NET and converter

Some glitch-art, for starters. Guess what it was supposed to be:

guess what

Recently I was doing some simple photo-editing and found that it will be much easier if there were some crop masks. 3x3 grid and things like that.

After looking into Paint.NET forum I discovered that Paint.NET has support for custom shapes. This feature meet my needs almost perfectly.

I think I’ve overdid it a bit, and after some research and coding I end up with a bunch of stuff which you can see on a project page.

DIY SMA 50 Ohm feed-through terminator

Step-by-step instruction how to make these, with some experiments after completion:

DIY SMA 50 Ohm feed-through terminators

RedPitaya direct connection

A few things happened recently:

  • RedPitaya released software update, started to promote themselves a bit more actively and started to charge money for software;

  • SDR transceiver community app was released by Pavel Demin;

  • I’ve unshelved my RedPitaya, since I’ve started this blog and got some use for it;

  • EEVBlog received and reviewed the thing.

First thing I would like to share is the way I’ve tried (and succeeded eventually) to connect RedPitaya to PC - direct cable connection using separate NIC.


RedPitaya is intended to be accessed through local network from any web-browsing capable device, so this type of connection is left aside from connection guide as something less universal and more difficult for some users, I think.

If you need it, there is this section of RedPitaya wiki. But I’ve got a bunch of issues on my way to make it work, so I decided to write down my instruction.

UPD: Wow! They (re)moved old manual just before I published this post. Manual still can be seen here. We will see what new version will look like.

Decision between various blog engines

Ok, now this site is officially live. Time to write something. I’ll start from some details about site itself.

Initial idea was (long time ago) to use PmWiki as the site engine. I’ve used it before and I really like it. The main drawback that was bothering me - the complexity of maintaining blog-like site on a wiki engine. It is possible, but there are better ways to do it.

Then I discovered static site generators. There is not much conceptual difference between them and file-based wiki engines like PmWiki - bunch of text files translated into html pages with some rules, but on publishing time, rather than each time on site access. And it’s perfectly fine this kind of site. There even should be a way to use PmWiki as static site generator, if I remember correctly.

Looking for static site frameworks, I quickly discovered that there is a plenty of them. And there is a good choice of programming languages they are implemented in. As it was with PmWiki some time ago, I need to compare them and decide on optimal choice.

Hello world

This is just a placeholder post.

Posts will start appearing here later. You can subscribe to RSS if you don’t want to miss that moment.